Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Living Room.

The man we bought the house from was a retired professor. He was also a master craftsman and made many things in the house: including doors, built-in bookshelves, a built-in china cabinet, bathroom and kitchen cupboards, wall paneling and anything in the house that is made out of wood. My husband said when he walked in the door, he knew it was ours and that the house is a "National Treasure". It is a remarkable house and we are lucky to have found it.
The man had text books in ALL the bookshelves. I have a lot of books, but in these shelves it doesn't seem like a lot. We have games and puzzles on this short wall. It makes me smile to look at all those games and puzzles. We've had a lot of fun with those games and puzzles over the years. Some have been given to us as gifts. Some we bought at the dollar store. Most we have accumulated over 23 years.
Often when other kids come over they go right to these shelves and pick out a fun game to play. My kids don't like playing games much anymore and it's been a long time since they've put together a puzzle. I have to plead with Jeff to get him to play a mean game of Yahtzee, Othello or Five Crowns (my favorite), and he will sometimes, when I ask nicely. But these shelves hold not only boxes, books and nick-knacks, but jars of sand, shells and priceless memories.
This home is filled with light, love and often laughter and it makes me happy.

No comments: