Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Rhubarb, rhubarb everywhere!

We have lived here for almost 9 years and I am almost embarrassed to say that this is the first time I made something with rhubarb. Almost embarrassed because I don't ever pretend to be much of a cook, baker or home-maker. Almost embarrassed because I should be an expert by now with the 10 plants of rhubarb that we have in our garden. I must say: I didn't plant it, rhubarb doesn't require much upkeep other than watering (I think I have added some turkey mulch a couple of times) and I don't remember ever having rhubarb before last year when a neighbor made me some jam (made with rhubarb from my own garden). Rhubarb is one of the few things deer won't eat, that's one reason why rhubarb flourishes where we live. I have shared rhubarb with a neighbor and another neighbor is on her way to get some now. Anyone is welcome to have some!
A week ago I found some amazing recipes on a website called www.5dollardinners.com. I have tried a few recipes from this site and appreciate how detailed the instructions are. If you love rhubarb you must check out her site and if you don't like rhubarb you still should check out her site because it was only one days worth of recipes. She has some great ideas and recipes that are cheap to make, and is now in the process of writing a book. She inspired me to finally try making something with Rhubarb. Even though, in the past, I have actually clipped good looking Rhubarb recipes from pretty magazines, (that's as far as I got).
Today I made Strawberry Rhubarb Jam and Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble! I haven't tried the jam yet but the crumble turned out yummy, if I do say so myself (and I do)!
Tomorrow I'm going to try to make the pie or the Strawberry Rhubarb tart. I cheated and bought pre-made pie crust. I'm the first to admit I'm no Martha Stewart but I'm happy I am venturing out and trying new things and using what's in my garden, finally!

1 comment:

Mo said...

And did you know that the leaves of rhubarb make a wonderful pest spray. just soak them in water then use the water.