Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day.

Britni copied this picture, matted it and framed it very nicely for me for Mother's Day. She said she wanted to do this because it is where it all began. Very sweet. When we got married my family didn't have much money. My dress was worn by my two older sisters for their weddings. My oldest sister had changed it some when she got married, second. We didn't have enough money for a professional photographer so we had our two brothers-in-law take our engagement pictures and wedding photos. I do love this picture. We are so young and sweet.
I like much of what Dr. Laura says but I don't agree with everything she says. She tells people to have all of school done and have a secure job and money before you should get married. It sounds right in theory. But there is something about struggling together to get all those things done. I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone. I can see how it was the bonding glue for us. I'm lucky to have found Jeff when I did and lucky that we have been married for nearly 23 1/2 years.
I wanted to make some burp cloths for my niece (in addition to buying a few other presents) for a semi-baby shower we had for her yesterday at my parents house. Jeff had asked me several times what I wanted for Mother's Day. I really didn't know. But on Thursday I had an epiphany while I was thinking about sewing these burp cloths. Britni is the one that has a sewing machine and sad to say it is not a great one (we bought it at Wal-mart one Christmas for her and it was fine at the time). Jeff had actually bought me a sewing machine long ago that was put through the ringer with all of using it and just a few years ago we gave it away. Anyway. My epiphany was: to ask for a nice sewing machine. It didn't need to be the best but it would be nice to get a really decent one. So I told him. He was excited that I told him something that I wanted and then he was on a quest. He did get me a very, very nice sewing machine (not the top of the line, but it is nearly that). I don't know how to sew well. It came with six lessons and I want to learn. I did sew three burp cloths. The cloth glided back and forth easily through that machine. The end product isn't great but decent for cleaning up baby vomit.
I know, I am spoiled. Jeff was sure happy to get it for me. He seemed so happy when he found it and went to pick it up. I know, I am a lucky girl.
I may need to be more careful what I wish for, or not.

No comments: