Friday, April 2, 2010

The Best Cream of Cauliflower Soup Ever!

I made Cream of Cauliflower Soup for the Book Club today.
My first time making it and it turned out great!
One of the ladies talked about not wanting to make something for the first time and not wanting to have the ladies be guinea pigs. I laughed out loud (inside my head--so not really out loud) because I haven't made it before AND I don't think making something for the first time for a Book Club is wrong (she even asked for the recipe!).

Remember that my friend made this soup for me once when I was sick. So I asked her for the recipe and she said I could share it with anyone. So I am!

I would not have ever thought Cream of Cauliflower Soup would be so good but it REALLY is!

Cream of Cauliflower Soup

2 medium onions, chopped
2 medium carrots, grated
2 celery ribs, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 c. butter
1 medium head cauliflower, chopped
5 c. chicken broth
2T. parsley
1 t. salt
1/2 t. white pepper (yes, you really need white pepper---you can find it for cheap at Asian Food stores)
1 t. basil
1 t. tarragon
6 T. butter
6 T. flour
1 c. milk
1/2 c. heavy cream (my friend says that she usually uses just milk instead of the cream--I used milk and it turned out amazing)
1/4 c. sour cream

In a large stock pot, saute onions, carrots, celery and garlic in 1/4 c. butter. Add cauliflower, broth, parsley, salt, pepper, basil and tarragon. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Meanwhile in a saucepan melt 6 T. butter, add flour until smooth. Stir in milk and heavy cream (really, you can just use milk). Stir until thick. Add to cauliflower mixture. Cook for 10 minutes, stir in sour cream. Top with fresh tarragon (although my friend said just use dried tarragon--so I used dried).


Linked on Tidy Mom

3 comments:

Tina @ www.commoncentshome.blogspot.com said...

That looks delicious! I can't wait to make it and it'll be ALL for me, unless I can "trick" my kids into eating it. I love making up a big pot of soup and eating it for lunches.

www.commoncentshome.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

That soup sounds delicious. You are a brave and resourceful lady to have cooked it for your book club. What did you have with it? LOL Mom

Cheryl G. said...

It is delicious!
I was a little brave and probably a lot of stupid.
It was potluck so everyone brings food.
Someone brought a yummy salad, someone else chips and guacamole dip, someone else crackers and guacamole dip,someone else brought another soup and one person also brought chocolate chip cookies.
Sometimes we have all main courses or most of one thing but usually there is a good mix.
We always have tons of food and there is always something incredible. We have a cute old Danish woman that came late (she had a tooth pulled) and brought us homemade chocolate Easter eggs with something yummy in the middle. Wow.