Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Today, it's a hacky sack.

































Davis is obsessed with hacky sacks, for today. We bought one at a local sporting good store recently. Monday night he printed up instructions how to make one. I bought some faux alligator leather material during the day. After school Davis cut the material and we figured how to put it together and I sewed (I am not a seamstress, but I can usually sew a line). Davis helped fill it with rice and I hand closed as best I could. He smiled and was happy. He took it to school the next day and the rice came out. We will try again, maybe this time the pattern will be bigger.
Davis was obsessed with paper snowflakes recently. They really are beautiful. Everyone loves them when they see them. He makes them out of 6 or 7 pieces of paper that he cuts into a square. He paid for cotton paper to see if that would make a better snowflake. He is also obsessed with making money and wants to sell them, or something else.
In any given day Davis can go from one project to another in lightening speed. It is hard to keep up. He often loves wires, batteries, baking soda and anything else he could think of, that would make a good source of energy.
His mind moves so fast. Monday night he told me he wrote a song (Tuesday he takes guitar lessons). He said it was titled, "My life was sad and true". "It's about hearing the voices".
He started hearing voices when he was 10. It was pretty constant for a year and a half. The medication mostly keeps them away. He has other difficulties too. It has been a rollercoaster ride for 5 years, but the last few have been smoother and not so hard to take. He doesn't fit all the criteria for Schizophrenia, Autism or Aspergers. He doesn't have a defining diagnosis, he has several generalized diagnosis, which is fine. We deal with what is going on with him, he is on medication that helps, he is in a special program at school, goes to scouts, and we try to help him as much as we can while trying to help channel all that creative energy.
He has a sweet, innocent way about him, although his teenage angst can show too. He wants to play every day with someone and if he's lucky, he finds them. If not, he loves the computer and inventing. I love those two boys, on our street, that almost daily, play with him. They are now having fun with hacky sacks.
I am printing this, with the permission of Davis.
"My life was sad and true"
Beginning of my life is sad and true
When I cry was soon too soon
But when I hear things I say kaboom
then everything goes good
It starts, then I hear it all over again
It's the beginning of my sickness
Then my weakness grow too big
I needed to jig or dance
Now I'm older than I did
Now I can do what I want

No comments: